Ath Cité des Géants
The city of Ath has been attested since the Middle Ages. In 1166, the Count of Hainaut Baudouin IV built a powerful dungeon, the Burbant Tower, at the confluence of the Eastern and Western Dendres.
Little by little, a city is created and developed. The Saint-Julien church with its characteristic belfry was built at the beginning of the 15th century. The Baroque Town Hall dates back to the reign of Archdukes Albert and Isabella. Finally, in the middle of the 17th century, Marshal Vauban fortified the city and made it one of the most beautiful strongholds in Europe.
But today, these are gigantic characters that make Ath famous. Goliath and his wife, and all their peers, are the emblems of the Ducasse, recognized as a masterpiece of humanity by Unesco. Each year, the fourth weekend of August, thousands of visitors meet in Ath to vibrate to the rhythm of the Giants.